- Community support in employment, education, and leisure activities for people with physical disabilities between 16 and 64 years old;
- Day Opportunities Service four days a week for adults with ABI;
- Self-Directed Support Personal Assistant brokerage service.
Physical Disability Service
At Capability Scotland, we're here to help people living with a disability in Dumfries and Galloway live their best lives.
Our service provides free advice and support to help people find out about leisure, employment, training, volunteering, socialising and education opportunities.
Our support teams are based across the region which people aged 16 to 64 can access between Monday and Friday. Anyone is able to make a referral to the service.
We aim to improve people's involvement in the local community and enhance their quality of life.
Adult Acquired Brain Injury Service
We offer a community-based support and rehabilitation service for people aged 16 to 64, living with an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) in Dumfries and Galloway.
We can provide:
- specialist advice on the management of an ABI,
- access to self-management courses surrounding ABI,
- provide emotional and practical support,
- support with slow-stream, vocational and cognitive rehab,
- opportunities for respite,
- a joined-up approach to your care following an ABI
We deliver this by including you and your family in identifying what's important to you and assisting you to achieve your goals.
Self-Directed Support Brokerage and Payroll Service
At Capability Scotland, we can also help you choose the best social care that's right for you.
Our service offers you independent advice and support to get the most from your self-directed support budget.
Your self-directed support budget is a different way of arranging and paying for the assistance you need. It lets you choose what's important and how you want your care and support to be provided in order to enable you to achieve your brilliant outcomes.
Your local authority or health and social care partnership will decide how much money you need for your support. This money is sometimes called your 'individual' or 'personal' budget. We can support you in managing your budget including making payments and running payroll on your behalf.
We can help manage and support all options that local authorities must offer to you:
- Option 1: the individual or carer chooses and arranges the support and manages the budget as a direct payment.
- Option 2: the individual chooses the support provider and then the chosen provider manages the budget.
- Option 3: Dumfries and Galloway Council chooses and arranges the support.
- Option 4: a mixture of options 1, 2 and 3.